Tools for Determining Ideal Weight and Daily Calorie Requirement


Determining the acceptable range of the weight that is ok for you when other factors come into play like height becomes essential for a person to ensure that they are healthy. For this, there are few calculations which are used. They are as follows.


  • BMI (Body Mass Index)
  • BMR (BasSal Metabolic Rate)
  • Harris Benedict Equation

BMI (Body Mass Index)

BMI is a simple relation between body height and weight. With this tool ideal body weight can be calculated. It also helps to determine whether according to the given weight and height the person is underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese.
BMI formula
BMI = Mass (kg) / height2 (m)

Classifications (International) 

BMIWeight Range
Less than 18.5 kg/m2Underweight
18. to 25 kg/m2Normal Weight
25 to 30  kg/m2Overweight
Above 30 kg/m2Obese
 
BMI < 18.5kg/m2

A BMI of less than 18.5 indicates that the person is underweight; weight gain is advisable to be in healthy range.
BMI = 18.5 – 25kg/m2
A BMI of 18.5 – 25 indicates that the person has healthy weight for the given height. By maintaining a healthy weight, there is lower risk of developing serious health problems.
BMI = 25 – 30kg/m2
A BMI of 25 – 30 indicates that the person is slightly overweight. It is suitable to lose some weight for health reasons.
BMI > 30kg/m2
A BMI of over 30 indicates that the person obese. Health may be at risk and losing weight is absolutely necessary. You are recommended to talk to your Doctor or a dietician for advice.
For Example:
My height is 5 feet 6 inches = 1.6764 meters. My weight is 66 kg.
BMI = 66/ (1.6764)= 23.48 (normal weight). My weight is well under normal limits.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

BMR is the amount of energy (calories) body must burn to be alive, while it is resting and not digesting food. It is the basic energy required by the organ and tissues of the body to survive. It does not include digestion and any form of physical activity.
BMR is based on height, weight, age and gender of the person.
BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) – ( 6.8 x age in years )
For Example:
My height is 5 feet 6 inches = 167.64. My weight is 66 kg. I am 30 Years old.
BMR = 655 + (9.6 * 66) + (1.8 * 167.64) – (4.7 * 30) = 1449.352 or approx. 1450 calories
For me, 1450 calories is what my body needs to survive one day, if I don’t perform any physical activity and I don’t eat any food.

Harris Benedict Equation

Harris Benedict Equation calculatestotal number of calories the person requires for all the day by determining the activity factor and multiplying it with BMR. This equation is very accurate to estimate the daily calorie expenditure, except very muscular or very fat people.
Harris Benedict Formula
To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
For sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
For light active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
For moderate active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
For very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
For extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
For Example:
My BMR = 1450. My Activity Level = Moderate Active
Total Daily Calorie Need = 1450 * 1.55 = 2247.5 calories
 
My total daily calorie requirement to maintain my current weight with moderate activity level is 2247.5 calories is a day. I exercise regularly, 3 days a week yoga classes and at least 2 days a week I walk for two miles. This is other than the stairs I climb and normal household chores as a daily activity in my home. So I can safely say that I have moderate activity level. In order to reduce my weight with a healthy approach I need to reduce 500 calories from my daily requirement (either by eating less or exercising more, or both).

So ladies make sure you make these calculations right so you stay healthy and be beautiful at the same time!

addthis

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner